The Center For Restorative Justice Works re-weaves the web of relationships that have been torn apart by crime and the policies of the criminal justice system. CRJW serves as a conduit to assist and accompany children, families and communities in crossing over the barriers that separate them from people in prison. In doing so, CRJW restores relationships and creates public awareness in order to bring about radical transformation of the criminal justice system.
Get On The Bus unites children with their mothers and fathers in prison. We train and educate hundreds of volunteers and supporters throughout California and engage the media to raise awareness about the plight of children with a parent in prison. Get On The Bus advocates for the right of children to see, touch and talk to their parent who is incarcerated.
- We believe that families are torn apart by the current policies of the criminal justice system leaving behind children who become the hidden victims of crime.
- Prisons are often located in isolated areas far from the families of mothers and fathers in prison, and the children lack the means to visit their parents. As a result, more than half of the children with a parent in prison never see them.
- We believe regular parental visits are essential to the welfare of children, incarcerated men and women, and the society as a whole. Children who have regular parent visits demonstrate better emotional and social adjustment, as well as a lower degree of juvenile delinquency. Their parents demonstrate lower rates of recidivism and higher rates of family reunification upon release.
- We believe that all children have the right to speak with, see and touch their parent.
- We believe that all children have the right to a lifelong relationship with their parent.
- We believe that it is essential to provide children every opportunity to visit their parent in prison, and to strengthen their relationship as a family.
- We believe that families and children are essential partners for rehabilitation and re-entry.
- Therefore, GOTB believes that it is imperative to unite children with their parents in prison and create greater public awareness about their plight.